Ashok Nayak, Technical Writer at Fynd, joins us in this episode of Knowledgebase Ninja Podcast to share technical writer insights and advice for both beginners and professionals.
- Ashok’s LinkedIn
- Fynd Website
- Ashok is a former Linux Developer and Technical Writer at Tata Consultancy Services
- Ashok has a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering in Electronics from Datta Meghe College Of Engineering
- Fynd is India’s largest omnichannel ecosystem and multi-platform tech company
- Fynd made it to Fast Company’s list of Top 10 most innovative Asia-Pacific companies of 2022
- At the beginning of his writing journey, Ashok was a freelancer that had been writing blogs and social media posts. He then switched to technical writing and documentation and has been leading the technical writing team at Fynd from the moment he joined
- When there’s a new feature coming, Ashok’s team gets in touch with a subject matter expert
- The documentation process starts with the BRD (business requirement development) phase. Then it goes to the design phase, collaboration with engineers, and the UAT phase, where the team puts snapshots into the task. When the snapshot and documentation are ready, it goes through rigorous review processes. Once they incorporate all the inputs, the team moves that into production
- If you aspire to become a technical writer, try understanding what people outside India are doing. Think of technical writing as a creative space, and build an adequate portfolio
Ashok’s biggest influence
- In terms of writing, Ashok reveals about one of his freelancing clients in 2014. As far as technical writing is concerned, he mentions his first manager at Fynd
What documentation-related advice would Ashok give to his 20-year-old self?
Don’t be obsessed with the tools. Focus on the content.
Subscribe to Knowledgebase Ninjas: